EMERGENCY RESPONDER AGENCIES
Ramona Fire Department
RAMONA FIRE DEPARTMENT HISTORY (Provided by Ken Hart)
A meeting was called on April 11, 1903 to organize a fire department for the Village of Ramona. Under Chief J.M Muggli they established a call bell system. One tap of the bell for chemical division, two taps of the bell for hook and ladder division and three taps of the bell for general department. The fire dept consisted of twenty one members and the following equipment: 1 ladder wagon, 1 grappling hook, 2 roof ladders, 1 crow bar, 1 24 ft ladder, 2 firemen’s axes 4 firemen’s lanterns and 1 dozen buckets. According to minutes in 1907, they agreed to pay $5.00 “to the first team able to pull the fire engine to the fire in case necessity”.
One hundred and two years later the Ramona Volunteer Fire Department has gone from horse drawn teams to tankers, pumpers and a first response pickup. Current Fire Chief Ken Hart and 20 members respond to fires and medical emergencies.
The Ramona Fire Department currently provides a Class 7 fire rating. The first due area consists of 39 square miles plus which involves mutual aid agreements with other area departments. Members attend District and state fire schools on a regular basis.
FIRE DEPARTMENT EVENTS
Annual Mountain Oyster Feed in February each year.
ON GOING FIRE PREVENTION PROGRAMS
National “LEARN NOT TO BURN” taught yearly at Ramona